A Message From our Team
“We are excited to be offering hearing healthcare solutions to our community and helping to fill a need that hasn’t ever existed in South Lake Tahoe. We believe all people should have a choice when it comes to their hearing healthcare and are grateful we can provide an option for people in our community that is close to home.”
– Rob and Dr. Jenelle Sandy
Meet Your Audiologist
in South Lake Tahoe
“Hello! I’m Dr. Jenelle Sandy, Au.D., CCC-A, pediatric and adult audiologist, here to serve South Lake Tahoe and the greater Lake Tahoe Basin.
I was born in Southern California and raised in rural Maine, the bustling city of Chicago and northern California. I grew up babysitting, nannying, and volunteering, always with a passion for working with children and people in some capacity to give back to my community.
I earned my bachelor’s degree in Communication Disorders from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and went on to earn my doctor of audiology degree at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. I chose UNC (and they chose me) for their excellent pediatric program, ranked top 5 in the nation. From there, I went on to practice at a specialty pediatric hospital, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago. I worked with children diagnosed with rare diseases and illnesses in addition to their hearing loss diagnosis. This unique setting has given me distinctive skills to provide for my patients in ways others may not even consider.
Ultimately, my heart missed the mountains I experienced in my childhood. Returning to the mountains has rekindled my love of skiing and mountain biking, but my passion for helping and providing for my community has not dwindled. When I am not skiing, biking, or working, I can be found exploring the simple pleasures Tahoe has to offer with my loving spouse and two children.”
Dr. Sandy’s Professional Accomplishments
- Bachelor of Arts-Communication Disorders, Proficiency in Spanish, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Doctor of Audiology, Au.D., Focus in Pediatric Audiology, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- UNC Teaching Assistant, Graduate Level Cochlear Implant Course
- Clinical Quality Team, Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
- Cochlear Implant Audiologist
- Continuing Education Team, Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
- Adjunct Lecturer, Northwestern University School of Communication
- AAA-SAA (Student Academy of Audiology), UNC Chapter President
- Active Member of American Academy of Audiology (AAA)
- Active Member of American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Active Member of American Cochlear Implant Alliance (ACIA)
- June C. Allcott Fellowship Recipient
- Maternal and Child Health Bureau Leadership Consortium
- Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities (LEND) Traineeship
- Pediatric Audiology Training Grant
- ASHA Award for Continuing Education (ACE) Recipient
- Special Olympics World Winter Games Healthy Athletes Clinical Director Training
- AHA CPR Certification
- Volunteer audiologist for Illinois School for the Deaf’s Summer Parent Institute
- MED-EL Expanded Indications in the Pediatric CI Population Investigator Meeting
- AAA AudiologyNOW DiscovEARy Zone
- Presenter at ITHI annual conference (Topic: Cochlear Implants 101)
- Presenter at MED-EL’s international Advanced Audiology Training
- American Cochlear Implant Alliance (ACIA) CI Conference presentation: CHARGE Characteristics and Outcomes in Pediatric Cochlear Implants, May 2016
- Presenter at the annual A Day at Lurie Children’s: ‘Overview of CI Candidacy’ and ‘Deaf with Disabilities Case Studies’, May 2017, and May 2019
- Clinical preceptor of externs and residents
- Young, N.M., Tournis, E., Sandy, J., Hoff, S.R., Ryan, M. (September 2017). Outcomes and time to emergence of auditory skills after cochlear implantation of children with charge syndrome. Otology & Neurotology, Volume 38 (Number 8), 1085-1091.
- Young, N.M., Shin, H., Weber, L., Thomas, D., Tournis, E., Ringger, J., Makovec, A., Sandy, J. (IRB Study # 2010-14322). Multimodal tests of spoken word recognition for adults and children-milestone 3.
Rob worked in corporate IT sales for a number of years prior to leaving and helping his wife, Dr. Jenelle Sandy, open Tahoe Family Hearing Clinic. His background is in sales, marketing, and operations. Rob assists with answering the phones, scheduling, patient intake and follow-up, and other office related tasks. He is passionate about working with his wife and helping to ensure the success of the clinic.
Outside of work, Rob enjoys doing anything outdoors, whether that be winter skiing, snowmobiling, hiking, golfing, mountain biking, swimming, or kayaking.
Give Back to our Community
Our owners, Dr. Jenelle Sandy and her husband, Rob, are active members of the South Lake Tahoe community. We are proud to be a part of the Tahoe Chamber of Commerce and the South Tahoe Chamber of Commerce. In addition, we routinely involve ourselves by volunteering our time at schools, health fairs, and seasonal markets to provide free education on hearing health.
We proudly serve our nations Veterans. If you are a Veteran or know someone who has served and needs hearing care, please contact us; you may be eligible for free hearing evaluations and hearing aids!
Insurance & Financing
Please call our office to provide the details of your insurance and we will be happy to confirm if our services are in or out of network with your provider. We do accept all forms of Medicare as well as the below list of insurance providers.
We accept CareCredit®, the leading healthcare credit card, to make improving your hearing health easier and more affordable. CareCredit® offers special financing on purchase of $200 or more* for healthcare costs not commonly covered by insurance, including hearing aids.
With CareCredit®, you can get the hearing instrument you need and conveniently pay for it over time with monthly payments that easily fit into your budget. It’s the convenient way to improve your hearing health. Learn more by contacting our office or visiting the link below.
Current List of Insurance Providers
When paying out of pocket for a service, we accept FSA/HSA, cash, check, debit cards, credit cards, and CareCredit. We also have financing options for device related purchases!